SULAIMANI (ESTA) — The Kurdistan Democratic Party (KDP) leader, Masoud Barzani, on Wednesday slammed the verdict issued by the Iraqi Federal court which canceled the decision to send the Kurdistan Region’s share in the national budget.
On Wednesday, the top Iraqi court ruled that the Kurdistan Region’s budget allocations that previously had been made under the former prime minister, Mustafa al-Kadhimi, were “unconstitutional”.
The decision by the Iraqi Federal Court to cancel the budget allocations resulted in a widespread uproar among leaders.
The KDP leader, Masoud Barzani slammed the verdict, calling it “another adversary position against the Kurdistan Region.”
“The point is not the amount of the money but the violation of rights and principles,” he said in a statement.
“The participation of Kurds in the new Iraqi cabinet was based on a “clear and detailed agenda,” including Baghdad’s sending of the Region’s financial entitlements, he added.
The decision made by the top Iraqi court clearly states that sending the financial entitlements of the Kurdistan Region by Baghdad is a “violation” of the budget law, preventing Baghdad from sending the financial entitlements of the Region.
In the meantime, the Kurdistan Region President called the court’s verdict “completely unfair.”
“People expected the court to preserve the interest of all [ethnic and religious] groups in Iraq … rather than damaging the opportunity and the positive atmosphere that has been created to resolve Erbil-Baghdad issues,” said the president, according to a statement from the Kurdistan Region presidency.