Kadhimi orders formation of joint committee on Erbil rocket attack

Iraqi Prime Minister Mustafa al-Kadhimi chairs a meeting of Council of Ministers, Baghdad, February 16, 2021. (PM office)

SULAIMANI (ESTA) — Iraqi Prime Minister Mustafa al-Kadhimi said on Tuesday that he had ordered the formation of a joint investigative committee between Erbil and Baghdad to arrest perpetrators launched rockets on Erbil city.

U.S.-led Coalition forces said earlier on Tuesday that 14 rockets were launched toward Erbil city on Monday night, killing a civil contractor and wounding nine others, including a U.S. service member.

The Region’s ministry of interior said the rockets were launched from a road between Gwer and Erbil, killing a civilian and wounding eight others.

“The terrorist act that targeted the Kurdistan Region aims to create chaos and shuffle the cards,” Kadhimi said during a meeting of the Council of Ministers.

“This terrorist act comes with the great efforts made by the government calm the situation in the region and keep the country away from conflicts,” he added.

A group calling itself “Avengers of Blood”, or Saraya Awliya al-Dam, claimed responsibility for the rocket attack on Erbil in a statement on social media, saying it targeted “American occupation” and that it was “the beginning of the game”.

The ministry of Peshmerga said in a statement that any attack on the Coalition forces is an attack on the Peshmerga and people of the Kurdistan Region.

Previous Article

Iraqi military’s chief of staff visits Sinjar

Next Article

Court in Erbil sentences five journalists, activists to jail on security charges

Related Posts