کوردی      English
تۆڕی میدیایی ئێستا
تۆڕی میدیایی ئێستا

Two civilians killed in Turkish airstrike in Sinjar: Iraqi military

2020-08-26
Smoke rises after Turkish fighter jets bomb a base of the Sinjar Resistance Units in Sinjar, in northern Iraq, January 15, 2020.
Photo: Esta Media Network
Esta - Iraq
Esta

SULAIMANI (ESTA) — Two civilians were killed in a Turkish strike on a village in Sinjar district on Tuesday (August 25) night, the Iraqi military said.

Iraqi Security Media Cell said in a statement that Turkish drones violated Iraq’s airspace and targeted a double-wheeled pickup truck in the village of Bahrafa in Khansur complex in north of Sinjar.

Two civilians were killed in the strike while the driver managed to escape, the Iraqi military stated.

The security media cell also said a site in the village of Bara in north of Sinjar was also targeted. The number of casualties remained unclear, the military added.

Head of Patriotic Union of Kurdistan (PUK) press office in Nineveh Ghayas Surchi told Esta Media Network that Turkish drones launched two strikes against Sinjar Resistance Units (YBS) in the district.

“Two civilians were killed in the Turkish strikes,” Surchi said, adding that the civilians were not affiliated to the YBS.

“YBS was created after the emergence of Islamic State, and most of its members are Yazidis. Their ideology is close to the Kurdistan Workers’ Party [PKK], but they are not PKK,” he noted.

Turkey intermittently carries out airstrikes and artillery shelling against suspected PKK positions on the Kurdistan Region’s border areas with Turkey and Iran.

The Turkish military has also entered 40 kilometers deep into the Kurdistan Region in the province of Duhok since its cross-border operation into the Kurdistan Region in June. At least six civilians have been killed and thousands of hectares of villagers’ agricultural lands have been burned since then.

*This story was updated at 11:38 a.m. EBL time