“We want to make clear that this case goes back to early 2020 and it is currently being looked into by the relevant court,” Bahrain’s ministry of interior said in a statement on Sunday (September 20) , according to Reuters.
Saudi state television Al-Ekhbariya and Bahraini newspaper Akhbar al-Khaleej reported that interior ministry investigations found that a new group called the “Qassem Soleimani Brigade” had planned to attack several public and security structures in Bahrain. The reports had not given a timeframe.
The report by Akhar al-Khaleej said the foiled attacks had been planned to avenge the January killing in Iraq of Iranian General Qassem Soleimani by a U.S. drone strike.
It said security forces foiled the plot after finding an explosive device in the Badei area meant to target a visiting foreign delegation. The newspaper said a case was being prepared against 18 accused individuals, of whom nine are now in Iran.
Bahrain, host to the U.S. Navy’s Fifth Fleet and other international naval operations, has often accused Shia Muslim Iran of seeking to subvert the kingdom, which has a Shia majority and is ruled by Sunnis.
It was the only Gulf Arab state to witness a sizeable pro-democracy uprising in the 2011 “Arab Spring”, from a largely Shia opposition movement, which it quashed with Saudi and Emirati help.